Week 3 ePortfolio

Before this week I was unaware of what character education was. I believe this is because it is something I see everyday at work and at home with my son. It is something I do on a everyday basis without thinking about it. With that being said I think once I learned that there are certain ways to make it more effective I became more aware of how I handle situations. I work with Kindergartners so with them I am focused on more of the social character education. Just yesterday I had to have a discussion with my class about how if we yell, push, and are mean to our friends they may not want to be our friend anymore. While this seems like a tough thing to talk about with 5 year olds, but was very eye opening to them.
To look more into character education I did a simple google search and found a whole website focused on lesson plans to teach skills like trustworthiness, respect, and caring. I thought it was interesting that there are actual lesson plans focused on the basics of these skills. I feel that as a teacher these are taught and practiced daily in the classroom. I wonder how students would react to a lesson completely focused on respect. I think it would be key on how they are taught. From personal experience I can imagine some teachers may struggle to have students engaged in the lesson, while some my have a high successful and engaged lesson.
As I looked more into the website the lessons seem cheesy with poorly made cartoons which may lead students to joke around and not realize the seriousness of the topic being discussed. This website does seem to be a good jumping off place that teachers could expand of the lesson and make it more relatable to students.



http://www.goodcharacter.com/EStopics.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final project- Week 12

ePortfolio-week 2

ePortfolio 6