Week 4 ePortfolio

According to techterms.com digital footprints is a trail of data your create while you use the internet. It can include websites you visit, emails you send, and information submitted online including personal information and credit card numbers.
Students and teachers need to be aware that everything they do online is recorded. It is vital to remember this as many young people spend a great deal of their time online. As teachers is an important part of the job to teach students that what they put up online may hurt them later. For personal experience I realized this the hard way. Periodically Facebook shows me posts from high school. Sadly many of them I appear angry and sometimes even use foul language. I understand I was maybe 15 years old but I am embarrassed when I see those past posts pop up. If someone were to make an assumption based soley on my Facebook post it would be fair to assume I am angry all the time and use bad words to get my anger out. Today this is absolutely not me. I think this is a point that I would have never realized when I initially made them back in high school. As a young adult this was the only way I knew to vent my anger and feelings. Today I go to the gym and have learned to take a while before I post or send an email that may be written out of anger. 

With many negatives associated with digital footprints there are many ways to protect your digital footprint.


  • Delete tracking cookies and browser history regular
  • Review security settings on social networks and stay up to date with new features and security
  • Make sure web browser is up to date
  • Choose safe and secure passwords
  • Use cash instead of credit cards
  • Opt out of providing personal identifiable information
  • Remember anything that is posted is public

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final project- Week 12

ePortfolio-week 2

ePortfolio 6